Medication administration is critical to nursing practice, which is why NCLEX-takers should learn the most common drugs used.
The NCLEX exam tests a nursing student’s knowledge of pharmacology, including drug classifications, mechanisms of action, side effects, and nursing considerations.
By learning the most commonly used drugs, you can develop a solid foundation of pharmacological knowledge and apply it to clinical practice. You’ll be able to identify drugs commonly used to treat specific health conditions and understand how these medications work.
This knowledge will help them administer safe and effective medication and improve patient outcomes.
How to Study for NCLEX Medications
Studying for NCLEX medications can be challenging, but here are some tips that you can use to prepare for the Pharmacology portion of the exam:
- Attend review classes. Many nursing programs offer NCLEX review classes. Attending these classes can provide nursing students additional guidance and support for medication-related questions.
- Seek guidance from nursing school instructors. Instructors can provide guidance and support for medication-related questions – so don’t hesitate to ask for assistance.
- Practice drug calculations. The NCLEX often tests nursing students’ ability to calculate and administer medication doses correctly.
- Create flashcards. Flashcards are a great way to memorize drug names, classifications, and key information.
- Use online resources. There are many online resources available to nursing students studying for the NCLEX. These resources include practice tests, review videos, and study groups.
- Use a comprehensive NCLEX medications study guide. Study guides contain detailed information about medication classifications, mechanisms of action, side effects, and nursing considerations.
Most Common Drugs Used Download
Click the button below to download our Most Common Used Drugs study guide:
Save Time on Pharmacology Studies with Us
A significant percentage of NCLEX questions are related to pharmacology, so remembering commonly used drugs is essential for passing the NCLEX exam.
SimpleNursing offers study tools for every nursing subject, including Pharmacology, so you pass the NCLEX on the first try. We have question banks, videos with rationales, and additional study guides.
Unlock more NCLEX study resources here.